Long Term Care
Why Offer In House EKGs?
To Call or Not to Call…
Nursing Homes caregivers are stuck. They have no way to decide who should go to the ER and who shouldn’t.
Of the 314,000 residents sent to the ER in 2010, 19% were sent due to heart related conditions.
That’s 59,660 trips for heart issues. Of those, 45% (26,847) didn’t actually need to go.
The Impact on the Facility
- Stringent new Medicare requirements heading into 2018
- SNF’s expected to increase cardiac services (Letter from CMS, March 24, 2016)
- Need to decrease reliance on costly and slow outside service providers
- Continually shrinking profit margins
Lost money each month due to:
- Unnecessary hospital admissions and readmissions related to misdiagnosis of cardiac issues
- Transportation costs associated with non-emergent and false emergent ECGs
- Stat Transport costs range from $700-$1500 per resident round trip
- Mobile EKG services charge $85-$170 per ECG
- Overall avoidable transport costs alone can easily exceed $100,000 per month per facility
The Evolution of the EKG
1903 – Willem Einthoven
Not much has changed today…
- Single patient use, disposable, individually packed device with prepositioned leads and only 1 wire to connect.
- Improved accuracy and decreased variability = DRASTIC reduction of costly unnecessary testing.
- Faster in-house diagnosis: takes on average 60 seconds to perform.
- SNFs can finally triage and make educated decisions on cardiac related symptoms in-house.
To learn more about the EKG Glove™ or to schedule a demo…
drop us a line
1152 Oregonia Rd. Lebanon, Ohio 45036